One of my favorite things about WordPress is how you can have conversations with others, gain new insights, make friends, build community through the comment section. Trackbacks are cool too as they provide a way for blogs to interact with each other.
Add Recent Comments
You want to encourage visitors to comment on your site. To make your comment section an additional resource for your visitors. There are many WordPress plugs which enhance the comment section of your blog.
Be sociable You’ll want to comment on other people’s blogs, especially as you are just getting started. But do not spam! When you leave thoughtful, helpful, or even entertaining comments, it helps others get to know you. Be honest, if you feel someone’s post is crappy, don’t say you love it. If you disagree with some of the points they are making, politely state your opinion. Some of the most active blog posts are those where people are debating a controversial topic.
Promote those who comment I love it when people comment on my blogs. I appreciate them. I reply. People are people whether online or off. If you were at a networking event and someone came up to you and shook your hand, you wouldn’t just ignore them. You’d say hi too. Technology is great when used as a tool instead of a substitute for human interaction.
Here are a few ways you can show appreciation for your readers. Just a list to get you started
- Add Latest comments to your sidebar (See above video if you don’t know how)
- Comment Luv adds a link to their latest blog post
- Rely to their comments, answer any questions
- Visit their blogs, leave them a comment
- Thank Me Later PlugIn Sends an email a little while after their first comment to thank them, invite to subscribe, etc
One of the questions I’ve often seen is How do I get my image to show up next to my comments? Gravatars are your answer, click on the link in this paragraph to find the answer.
- Reply Me Another plugin for busy sites, emails comments replies to just their comments instead of sending an email for hundreds of comments=
- Moderation Notify Author Suggested for blogs with several authors where they can moderate their own comments
- WP Ajax Edit Comments Lets people edit their own comments/li>
- Riffly Webcam Video Comments Adds video and audio comments
- Track Back Spam Yep spammers are everywhere
Please support WordPress 101 for Boomers by tweeting, liking, +1, sharing etc. this post using the buttons above.
Comments are always welcome.